Monday, December 22, 2014

Police

I have to admit that I am afraid. I am afraid of a lawless world. I myself am not brave enough to go into law enforcement. And with all the recent media surrounding law enforcement, I honestly can't understand why anyone is. What I can tell you is that when I was a teenager I had complete respect for the police. I would not have talked back or responded negatively. I am afraid when I hear about kids attacking a police officer. A few years ago a group of teenagers held an officer's head under water when he tried to break up a party at the lake. No, I'm not a fan of tasers and yes, I do understand the health risks of using tasers. No, I'm not okay with shooting an innocent kid holding a toy gun. But, yes I have no idea what I would have done in this situation. And I'm not brave enough to find out...which is why I'm a pharmacist and not in law enforcement.
What I do know is that two innocent officers gave their lives this week only because they chose a career to protect people. Things have become so scary out there that these officers are risking their lives every day. And I have no idea how I would respond if I thought my life was in danger. They need to make a decision in a split second. Their lives depend on it. Maybe it's not always the right decision but it's the best they could do in that moment.

Ask yourself why this is happening. Perhaps it is because the last time you were caught speeding you expressed anger of the ticket instead of appreciation that they are keeping you safe. And perhaps your children were in the car. What if they don't understand the benefits of the police and only see your disgust over the speed trap or spot check. We need to teach our children to respect law enforcement and to be thankful for all that they do. I will say thank you next time I get a speeding ticket. At least I will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment