Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Loss of an angel


Sometimes in life someone touches you in an unpredictable way. Sometimes in that moment you know your life will never be the same. I met Oliver and his mom Karen in my pharmacy. Due to confidentiality, I won't get into that, but what I do want you to know is that he was adorable. In an instant I fell in love with that blond haired little guy. I'm suspecting that it was because he looked exactly like my Jack. And throughout the short time that I knew Oliver I became aware of just how unfair life can be. As my Jack was getting bigger and stronger, little Oliver became weaker. Because they were only a month apart I had the perfect perspective as to what that little guy's life should have been. I have never met a stronger woman than his mother Karen. Oliver's parents were never selfish. They made their choices based on Oliver's needs and what was best to keep him comfortable. They didn't choose to do things to make their personal suffering easier. I've spent the days since Oliver's death watching Jack and wishing that Oliver could have had the life that he deserved. I guess I will try to accept that these things happen and will try to stop looking for an answer as to why they happen. I'm sure that is an answer that will never be available.
Oliver, it was an honor to have met you. I hope that you enjoyed some joy in your short life and that you are now free. My life has been touched and I will never forget you.

Obituary 

1 comment:

  1. I never met Oliver, but through Karen commenting on my blog learned of Oliver's story. I agree with you that my life has been touched by his and by his mom's.

    ReplyDelete