Sunday, January 23, 2011

My religious dilemma

I was born Catholic, baptised Catholic, and raised Catholic.  I went to church every Sunday throughout my childhood.  If you asked me today, I would still say I am Catholic.  I have belonged to a Mommy's group at our church.  Both of my kids are baptised Catholic.  I still get a sense of peace from attending church.  I receive our church bulletin by email every week and I make a weekly donation to our church. 
But I do have some issues.  The Catholic church has many beliefs that are a struggle for me.  I believe that everyone is equal even if they are gay. I think that there are situations when divorce is absolutely the right thing to do.  And I believe in fertility treatments.  (Oh yeah, and for those of you who need it, I think birth control is useful too.)  One of the great things about the Catholic church is the amazing ability to be forgiven of your sins.  All you have to do is admit them to the priest, say the recommended prayers and all is forgiven.  But what if I don't want to be forgiven for undergoing fertility treatments?  My personal issue is with the fact that I am sure that God loves Jack.  So if he or she does love Jack, how can the creation of Jack be wrong?  I realize that these doctrines change throughout the years and that religion has come a long way...but still, I have a hard time getting past this issue. 
My husband belongs to the United Church.  Between the two of us, I am the more religious one, although he also attended church throughout his childhood.  I have been to the United Church enough times to feel at home there too.  I like the fact that they don't discriminate as much as my own church...but it is not home.  It just doesn't give me the same sense of peace.  I understand that this makes little sense to non-Catholics.  Why would the repetitive sit down, stand up, chant after the priest ritual give me peace?  I can't explain it.  It's just where I belong.
Okay, I have to admit, it's not all the above issues that have me not in church every Sunday.  We used to have the most fantastic priest.  He read the bible, but also gave information about actual real historical events that either proved or disproved the writing in the bible.  He was a fantastic man who spent his days counselling inmates, drug addicts, and inner-city families.  I know he made a difference in the world.  And I am sure in his spare time he played poker and drank beer.  But he got through to me.  His message made sense to me.  Our new priest is great.  He's from Africa and has a wonderful accent.  But his masses are at least an hour and half long.  It's just too long for two little kids.  Lily was really good at going to church...Jack is not.  And it's not his fault.  I always said that you could tell at Christmas which kids don't go to church on a regular basis.  I have created one of those kids.  The other thing is that I have limited time with my family now that I am working fulltime.  Jack sleeps most of the afternoon.  If he spends the morning at church and the afternoon asleep, when do we go to the zoo, or the museum, or the Fun Factory?
I always said I wanted to take my kids to church because it helps to build morals.  I think I am a better person because I went to church regularly.  I wanted my children to be baptised because of the religious implications if they weren't.  (Although I truly do not believe that my friend's unbaptised kids are destined for hell!)  I was married by a priest in a church because it was important to me to do so. 
So, that's my religious dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment