Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun...



Just so you know, today the sun shone just for me.  The last few weeks in Kauai have been rainy.  We arrived last night after a long day of planes and airports.  As usual, the kids surprised me with just how good they are.  Not that I would have complained because today I woke up in paradise.
I have been to Kauai before.  The last time we were here was just prior to our first IVF cycle.  We spent our days dreaming on the beach of what we thought would soon occur.  I thought about how wonderful it would be to return to Kauai to see our little boy or girl running down the beach.  That seems so long ago.  But at the same time it is hard to believe that in four short years I became the mother of two wonderful children.  I guess it all depends on how you look at it.
The day began with the voice of my favorite girl at 3:45 am telling me she has to pee.  After using the bathroom she climbed into bed with us.  After thinking about it she realized that she loves her "new room" and headed back to bed.  A thankful me fell back to sleep.  At 4:30 am, Lily returned to our room and was greeted by a very awake Jack.  And that's when our day began.  If my kids ever got up this early at home I would not be happy, but I understood that the time change messed them up...and I was waking up in paradise.  We showered and ate breakfast and were out the door by 6:00 am.  We headed to Spouting Horn to check out the chickens, cats, ocean and sunrise.  We chuckled about the fact that this was our first Hawaiian sunrise.  We had seen many sunsets before.  We smiled as we realized just how much our lives have changed.  Then off to Walmart to buy some sand toys and other necessities.  To the beach by 9:30 am and to lunch at noon.  Ahhhh....nap time.  Scott and Lily headed into town to pick up groceries.  When Jack woke up we headed to the beach to play on the playground.  And then we headed to the outdoor mall to watch some hula dancing. Then supper where we were personally serenated by Ryan, a fantastic Hawaiian musician.  Then shopping...to a store that previously made me very jealous and sad.  Today, as I shopped in Sand Kids I thought about just how lucky I am.  Then a little drive, quick bathtime...and then Lily actually asked to go to bed.  Very simple bed time routine and then ahhh....relaxing in paradise. 
It has been one of my busiest days.  I have already eaten macadamia nuts, had a mai tai, had fresh Ahi, had a Kauai Kookie, had unsweetened iced tea, and a Kauai coffee.  I could not have fit all my favorites into one day without getting up so early.  And I get to do it all again tomorrow if I want to.
I believe that today was beautiful because Lily and I sang the Mr. Sun song all the way to Walmart.  Oh yeah...and yes, I do know that I am the luckiest person in the world.

Mr. Sun. Sun. Mr. Golden Sun.  Please shine down on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment