Monday, February 28, 2011

The gigantic spider (as big as your head) climbs up the water spout...

I have been to Hawaii quite a few times before, but this is my first time with kids.  Hawaii is an absolute wonderful place for families.  I am not trying to deter you nor am I complaining.  I am having the most wonderful time in paradise.  I just wanted to share a few things that my kids have helped me learn.

Kids only like specific hats.  You have to keep trying until you find the perfect one.  When you have finally found that perfect hat, he will finally keep it on his head...but only if you soak it in water first.  That way it will keep his head cool.  We have yet to find the perfect shoes.

Innocent geckos that eat bugs are just that...until your one year old decides that they are lunch.  Fortunately they are faster than Jack so none have met their unfortunate demise.

Those Hawaiian roosters that annoyed you pre-kids actually mean it's morning to your kids.

The sunrise really is more beautiful than the sunset.  It's the beautiful sign that you are starting another fantastic day.  The sunset really does mean the end because we have yet to stay up longer than an hour after the kids go to bed.  Chasing the kids in the Hawaiian sun is incredible fun, but it's not relaxing.

I did actually get to lay on the beach and relax.  It was really nice...until Lily dumped a whole bucket of sand on my head..."Wake up, mommy!"

I had visions of my kids running around in the backyard.  It is gorgeous with fruit trees, plumeria, and poinsetta shrubs.  But there are huge spiders....they scare me, not the kids, but still.

It takes a little while for the kids to realize that the ocean is fun.  Give them some time to warm up to it and they will love it.

The best part of the train ride through the rainforest is when you stop to feed the wild pigs.  They are super gross and ugly, but well-loved by all kids.

A child who has never walked outside before and who will not wear shoes, will freak out the first few times they are set down on unknown surfaces...these include sand, grass, and the sidewalk.

Hawaiians are the first people who have not claimed Lily as one of their own.  They do not think that she looks like them.  A lot of Asians and Native people think she looks like them.  Also, I have yet to meet a Hawaiian who knows what Inuit means.  I thought that even though we do not call Inuit people Eskimos in Canada, they might know what Eskimo meant.  I got the same empty stare when I asked about igloos.  I made the mistake of saying she was from the north....north of what?  We're on an island.

Jack loves everything that we love....chili dogs, Cherry Coke, Kauai coffee, fish and chips.  That kid loves everything.  Lily, on the other hand, loves Pizzeta Pizza.  That's about it.

Kids help you to stop and smell the plumeria.  To look at the butterfly...and the spider...and the roosters.  Everything its so much more fun through their eyes. 

This vacation reminds me of when I was a kid.  I remember one time when we were camping and I asked my parents what we were going to do next.  We were sitting in our campsite relaxing.  They said that we were going to do this...meaning that we were going to continue to relax.  I remember being confused because we weren't actually doing anything.  I have thought of that moment lots over the last few days.  Everytime we stop for a moment to relax...or even to eat lunch, Lily asks what we're going to do now.  Can we go to the beach?  (Even when we are just walking back from the beach).  I'm glad they are so excited, but where do they get the energy?

Well, I gotta go.  We're headed to the luau.  I've been to a few before, but I am sure this one will be different with the kids.  I hope they LOVE it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment