Saturday, September 4, 2010

To test or not to test...to test of course

In hindsight, it's kind of like a bad joke.  How many pregnancy tests does it take to prove infertility?  Many of us spend months if not years trying to prevent pregnancy using birth control of some sort. At some point in our lives someone told us to be very careful.  It is easy to get pregnant if you mess up your birth control.  Miss one pill or have one condom break and you will have a baby on your hands.  Unless it's not. Unless you won't.  As a pharmacist I realize that you can actually get pregnant if you miss one pill.  I'm just not sure I truly believe it.  My first month off of birth control, I was very excited about the prospect of being a mother.  And when it got close to the end of that first month, my testing addiction began.  Before that first period, I am sure I tested at least ten times.  I bet most women don't even test that many times in a lifetime.  And so it continued month after month, year after year.  I even found a website that sells inexpensive tests.  My addiction was getting expensive!  And once the fertility treatments began, I would then use pregnancy tests to make sure that the medication that they gave me was leaving my body.  Now I had more reasons to pee on those annoying little sticks.  Our first round of IVF was followed by plenty of testing.  How could it not have worked?  They must all be wrong.  But they weren't and so my childless life continued.  When it came to our second round of IVF I promised my husband that we would wait patiently for the doctor to tell us whether or not it worked.  That had to be a less stressful way?!?  The medication that they give you to get your eggs ready during an IVF cycle makes a pregnancy test positive.  I wanted to watch the medication leave my body so I tested during that period...for absolutely no reason but to satisfy my testing addiction.  When the medication was gone, the tests began to show negative again, which was to be expected this early in the cycle.  I wanted to do one last test to make sure that the medication was out of my system (even though it had been for the last two days) and this test came up POSITIVE!  Now what do I do?  Do I pass out from excitement?  Do I lay on the bathroom floor and cry with relief?  DO I TELL MY HUSBAND?  (Remember I promised and I swore I would not let my addiction get the best of me!!)  I know what to do....I'll take another test!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I remember taking so many tests! and you gave me some of your inexpensive tests...remember that? I no longer have any of them because I used them all up...good thing! I DEFINATELY won't be needing them anymore!

    ReplyDelete