Friday, March 4, 2011

Nobody puts baby in the corner

Saskatchewan nurses leave baby in closet

In case you are wondering about the title to this blog, it's a line from Dirty Dancing. 

On a less humourous note, there has been a lot of publicity in Saskatchewan regarding two pediatric nurses who left an unconsolable 13 month old baby first in a bathroom and then later in a closet.  I don't know either of the nurses nor do I know what else was happening in the pediatric department that night.  In their defense, they did ensure the child's safety by placing her in a bouncy chair and later in a stroller.  When Jack was in peds I did notice that putting a baby in a bouncy chair was common practise.  There was another baby in our room whose mom wasn't there and she spent a lot of time in the bouncy chair.  A nurse couldn't hold her constantly and she was happier in the chair than she was lying down in her crib.  Another child spent almost the whole night in a baby swing.  When Jack was in the hospital I found it hard to leave his side to go pee.  Again, I don't know the situation with that baby's parents but I think that they are also at some fault because nothing is more comforting than a parent's touch. 
In saying all that, Jack is 15 months today.  He had an insane temper tantrum today.  He was inconsolable, scared, and angry.  At this age babies do not know how to show their emotions appropriately.  This causes them to be inconsolable.   While I did get tired of his incessant crying, I also felt extremely sorry that he was so upset.  I never once thought that I should put him in the bathroom or the closet to calm himself.  He needed to be comforted and to feel safe and loved.  When he calmed down, I cuddled him and squeezed him tightly.  He knew he was loved. 
And would I, could I leave my child in the care of either of those nurses?  Absolutely not.  Maybe they are good enough to care for someone else's kids, but they sure aren't ever going to be responsible for mine.  Perhaps they are incredible people; incredible nurses even.  I don't know them.  I honestly can't say.  Perhaps they are in the wrong profession.  At the very least, they are on the wrong ward. 
I think it takes a pretty wonderful person to be a good nurse (not just a nurse...cause I know some pretty terrible ones).  I think it takes an even better person to take care of sick kids.  I know cause when my kids are both sick at the same time, I have a really hard time taking care of all their needs. 
I have a friend who works on peds and I have commented many times that I don't know how she does it.  Kids are needy.  She's wonderful with kids and I know she works hard to give them what they need.  I was also impressed with the nurses we had when we were in RUH.  Don't let this cloud your judgment of the pediatric department.  But tread carefully.  I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment