Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sticky fingerprints. I don't care. The toys are spread out everywhere.

Don't clean your house for me.  I know you think that I will think you are a better person because I didn't see your messy house.  But honestly, it just makes me think that you just won't be invited to mine.  I am not a clean person by nature.  My bedroom as a teenager looked much like the hoarders on television...okay no dead animals or rats, but still quite impressive.  My urge is to leave the mess and push it aside as required.  I know that is not acceptable so I do clean as needed...but mostly I count on my housecleaner to do the work.  I am grateful that she is so awesome.  I am a full time mom, a full time wife, and a full time pharmacy manager...that leaves me too tired and too busy to clean the toilet.  It is hard enough to find time to pick up the toys...which I rarely do anyway. 
It is instinctual to instantly look around and try to tidy when someone is coming over.  I may do the dishes or pick up some toys, but it takes a lot more than that to fix it up in time.  If you let me see your house at its worst, I am more likely to invite you over to mine.  If I have spare time or a day off, I want to spend it with my family and my friends.  I want to sleep late and hang out in pajamas...I do no want to set the alarm so I can clean before you come over. 
If you stop by unannounced, you will find my house in disarray.  Deal with it.  I do.  I used to get embarrassed...now I just think that if you don't like it, stay away. I used to clean for guests and didn't want anyone to see my messy house.  Now I let my housecleaner do the work and hope it makes it through the week.  FYI...my housecleaner comes on Wednesdays so come over Thursday if you want my house to be clean. 
Oh yeah...and stop cleaning up so much.  You have to already know that everyone else cleans right before you come over.  Stop obsessing.  Let's change the expectation so we can spend more time doing the things we love....and less time mopping the floor.  It's a revolution!!

1 comment:

  1. I just had this revelation. I can't do everything and I refuse to let people think I can. I hired a house cleaner! My mess doesn't have feelings, but my family does and so the mess will just have to wait!

    ReplyDelete